Monday, September 6, 2010

Down on the farm




I spent most of last week holding down the fort at Meredith and Mark's while they very kindly took our mother up to see our brother. It was a very peaceful week and I was happy to get out of the rat race for a while and look at trees and fields instead of concrete and telephone poles.

Here's the view from the studio door, with a field of newly mown hay. On the other side of the same door there is a tomato garden. The tomatoes have just about petered out but the stalks make a perfect home for this lovely big spider. I have always called these "writing spiders" but their proper name is Argiope Aurantia. Whatever her name, she is a fine specimen. She caught herself some lunch while I was there.

It was a very quiet week, so I got a lot of tiles glazed and Meredith fired them yesterday. I'm eager to see how they came out. Pictures to come soon.

1 comment:

  1. I love when the fields are being mowed-love the sound of the cutting and the site of the bales fresh in the field, I loved coming home to the fresh cut fields but I feel like I missed something!
    I was glad you took pictures.
    That spider is a beauty and she is so nice and fat!
    See you tomorrow- let's hope for some fun tiles!

    ReplyDelete