Thursday, January 28, 2010

The giraffe tile mural


My partner, Tony, and I have been working on an interesting project, off and on, since 2006. This project is in the home of a woman whose father was a big game hunter in the 1970s. As an homage to her father, the homeowner is redecorating her home in a "Safari" theme. One of the things that we are working on is a collaboration with my sister and brother-in-law, Meredith and Mark Heywood of Whynot pottery: I have designed and drawn a mock-up for a mural for the kitchen which Meredith and Mark are going to bring into being in the form of a hand-made, carved tile backsplash. We have been taking measurements, tossing around ideas, making glaze samples and trial drawings for over a year and we delivered the final drawing to Meredith and Mark today. Now that my part of the process is over I can't wait to see the final product. I neglected to mention that the subject matter for the backsplash involves a giraffe eating from an African Acacia tree out on the African veldt. Here's the giraffe's face......

2 comments: